President offers new internship

Students interested in getting an inside look at the White House will have a chance to do so through a new internship program.

On Feb. 26 the White House Office of Media Affairs announced a new program in which interns will “supplement their learning experience” by attending social events, weekly lectures and community service activities sponsored by the White House, according to a White House press release.

The position is unpaid, and participants are responsible for providing their own transportation and housing. The announcement has IU students and faculty united in favor of such an opportunity, regardless of party affiliation.

“It’s a great opportunity to everyone to be involved in, despite what your beliefs are,” said Pat Buschman, junior and external vice chair for IU College Republicans. “No matter if it’s George W. Bush or Barack Obama, you should keep a balanced viewpoint when applying to a position like this.”

Some said President Barack Obama’s internship program is a great way to call students to public service.

“Something like this is great because it encourages younger people to get involved in the political process,” said IU staff member Jeff Beveridge. “There’s a lot of apathy out there.”

Christine Barbour, a political science professor, agreed.

“I imagine the competition will be intense, but I am all in favor of anything that gets students interested in public service,” she said in an e-mail.

Graduate student Rich Powell said Obama’s influence on the  nation’s youth should encourage students to apply.

Last year’s presidential election drew record numbers of the youth to the polls and made Indiana a blue state for the first time since 1964.

“College students were a huge part of the deciding vote in favor of electing Barack Obama president,” Powell said. “The fact that he is willing to open the White House to interns must be a good thing.”

Shawn Walter, president of IU College Democrats, said there is more to earning this internship besides staking out the competition.

“To me, the likelihood of earning an internship in the White House is good,” he said. “It doesn’t matter where you go to school, but rather what you do while you’re there.”