IU, PU combine research facilities

A new partnership between IU and Purdue University could combine the schools’ research facilities with hopes of increasing government grants and creating jobs.

The Indiana Innovation Alliance is a proposed partnership between the state’s two research universities along with biomedical and biotechnology firms, state government and local businesses.

The alliance will provide access to the resources at both schools for private companies and expand the IU School of Medicine.

Funding for the alliance was included in this year’s House budget plan. The Indiana Innovation Alliance is asking for $35 million each year for two years.

Larry MacIntyre, vice president for the Office of Government Relations, said that although the state will have to pay for the initial investment, the alliance will create more jobs.

“The alliance will enable us to make research laboratories more marketable and competitive with others in the country,” MacIntyre said. “It will result in more government grants and contracts in the private sector.”

The IU School of Medicine enrollment could increase by 30 percent from this partnership. In addition to increasing the number of physicians in Indiana, the school will also have funding to hire more faculty.

Though funding for the alliance was not included in Gov. Mitch Daniels’ budget recommendation, MacIntyre said there is substantial support from state lawmakers.  
Indiana Sen. Gary Dillon, a member of the Senate Appropriations Committee, said he was in favor of programs like the Indiana Innovation Alliance.  

“Life sciences is something we already have a good base in,” Dillon said. “We should expand on our strengths.”

He said education was a priority for the Senate, but they do not yet know how much money will be available.

“Until the new revenue forecast is made, it is hard to say what we can and cannot support,” Dillon said.  

Debbie Sibbitt, director of Hoosiers for Higher Education, said the alliance has received support from both Republicans and Democrats.

“There has been bipartisan approval,” Sibbitt said. “This is an investment in Indiana’s future. We hope this will be a long-term investment.”

Sibbitt said the alliance wants to market Indiana as a place for research. Some states cannot afford to build the facilities needed and could outsource research to Indiana.

Programs like the Indiana Innovation Alliance exist in other states, but Indiana has the advantage of two large research universities, Sibbitt said.

“There is a unique situation between IU and Purdue,” Sibbitt said.

David Guard, the executive director of IU’s Office of the Vice President for Engagement, said the alliance also includes a matching funds program for grants received by both schools. Through this program, the state matches funds received through grants and would allow Indiana to compete with similar programs across the country.

“By combining, we can compete on par with Harvard and MIT and other leading schools,” Guard said. “Purdue and IU working together is a way to increase our synergy.”

Guard said while funding for the program has not been fully secured, he is optimistic.
“We will continue to push ahead,” Guard said. “This will bring unparalleled growth to the state.”