Feminist writer to speak at IMU

It’s been more than two years since the Indiana Memorial Union Board sponsored a female lecturer on campus.

But in honor of Women’s History Month, activist, author and blogger Jessica Valenti will speak at 7 p.m. today at the Whittenberger Auditorium.

She will discuss engaging young people in the ongoing issues of feminism.

“The issues of feminism aren’t dead,” said Caitlin Van Kooten, director of lectures for the Union Board. “Women of our generation are just less aware of them.”

Valenti is on a quest to make young audiences more aware. She is perhaps most successful through her blog, Feministing.com, which discusses feminist issues in an approachable, non-academic way.

“It’s for people who aren’t well-versed in feminism but are interested in it,” said Indira Dammu, president of IU’s Women’s Student Association, which is co-sponsoring the event.

Dammu, an Indiana Daily Student columnist, said she hopes the speech can engage a significant portion of campus.

The blog’s contributors are young feminists with a new perspective, making the issues easier to identify with, Dammu said.

“I check it daily, sometimes several times a day,” said Cami Ward, the association’s treasurer.

Dammu has been working to bring Valenti to campus since September, and the joint sponsorship with Union Board has made the lecture possible.

“Hopefully it will help some people realize they are feminists,” Ward said.

The word “feminism” tends to evoke stereotypical images of earlier practices, but those are not synonymous with today’s identity, Dammu said.

“It’s upsetting when people don’t use the label, but they believe in everything feminists believe in,” Dammu said.

Valenti confronts why feminist beliefs are so important in her book “Full Frontal Feminism: A Young Woman’s Guide to Why Feminism Matters.”

A book signing will follow Valenti’s talk.

Feminism is not limited to women, event organizers said, because it encompasses issues of equality. Men tell Dammu they also love Valenti’s blog.

“Feminism is for men, too,” Dammu said.

Blog-reader and junior Bethy Scannell said she is excited for Valenti’s visit.

“Even on a liberal campus like IU, people are still afraid of the word ‘feminism,’” Scanell said, adding that she hopes Valenti’s visit will “help people come out of the feminist closet.”

Dammu said she hopes the lecture will bring issues to light and inspire young people to embrace the feminist identity.

“Feminism has done so much for women in this country,” she said, “and it’s really important to respect that legacy of activism.”