Students compete to win Wii

Big Brothers Big Sisters to receive free console as part of contest at IMU

Junior Aaron Collins prepares for a time trial of Mario Kart for Wii Wednesday afternoon at the Burger King in the Indiana Memorial Union.  The Wii Tournament was an opportunity for a student to win a Wii game system for themselves and for a charity of their choice.

Students gathered at the Indiana Memorial Union Burger King commons to show off their video gaming skills at Mario Kart Wii.

The charity event took place with cooperation from Burger King and the IMU. The winner received a free Wii and the chance to pick his or her own charity, which will also receive a Wii.

“We are trying to live up to the title we got of the Union being the most fun place on campus,” said Damen Morris, IMU marketing manager. “This is one of the things that validates that.”

Burger King promoted its name with free beach balls, T-shirts, sweatshirts and sling bags.

“We wanted to do something to give back to the students,” said Burger King manager Holly Parient, who came up with the event.

About 20 people participated.

Sophomore Michael Cummings was late after taking a test. Upon arriving, Cummings
ran back to his apartment to get his Wii nunchuk controller after refusing to race with the Wii steering wheel.

After a long wait by opponents at the IMU, Cummings returned with the different controller and set the new high score on the Mario Kart time trial.

Cummings, who ended up winning the tournament, made his donation to Big Brothers Big Sisters.

“I’m gonna sound like a dork, but I play this game a lot,” Cummings said.
Members of GameZombie.tv, a student-run Web site offering news and features on video games, were also present.

“I love myself some Mario Kart, and when you mix it with a charitable organization it makes it all the better,” said junior Aaron Collins.