Stimulus funds state water projects

Bill money will go toward new treatment plants, water mains, sewer facilities

Indiana residents can look forward to better-quality drinking water and wastewater management because of provisions in the anticipated federal stimulus bill.

“These improvements are part of the economic stimulus being worked on in Capitol Hill,” said Jim McGoff, director of Environmental Programs.

The bill, which President Barack Obama signed Tuesday, will pump money into the Indiana State Revolving Fund. Funds normally provided by the state government will instead be provided by the federal stimulus plan.

The approved projects include new treatment plants, wells, water mains and sewer rehab facilities for cities across the state.

“The fund has to wait until this bill passes, and then it can use the amount determined by the EPA for improvements statewide. The committee has already chosen the 12 first communities that qualify for these improvements,” said Jennifer Alvey, Indiana public finance director.

According to the Indiana Finance Authority, the projects will cost the federal government a total of $36 million. The individual projects vary in cost from a $320,000 wastewater treatment plant in Dugger, Ind., to a $10 million wastewater treatment plant in Peru, Ind. The government will dispense the amount to the state. Loans, grants or any form of repayment by taxpayers will not be involved.

The Indiana Finance Authority is responsible for dispensing the funding for the projects and said it is very hopeful.

“We’ve been in and out of meetings all day. These projects are going to be very helpful for Indiana residents. Jobs will be created with these projects, and public health is another issue in this case,” Alvey said.

These projects are just the start of the upkeep of Indiana’s aging water management facilities.

“The EPA has approved Indiana for 1 percent budget increases since 1989,” McGoff said. “We will start to use these funds to improve Indiana’s water management greatly within the next four years.”