Stimulating your job search

Chances are you probably need a bit of your own stimulus. If you are like most seniors, you either have no job offers or are staring at the prospect of working at a job you dread.

Do not despair just yet. By using the methodology offered in this column, you will be well on your way to your ideal job.

Before we go into specific tactics, we must change the way that you look at employment. You do not “get a job.” A job is not something that you win at a raffle or catch at a concert. A job is a two-sided contract where the employee trades his or her skill set and effort in return for job security, fulfillment and a paycheck. Don’t underestimate what you bring to the table. Whether you realize it or not, highly qualified and reliable employees are in limited supply, even in today’s economy. 

To make yourself attractive to a potential employer, you must get out of the commodization trap that you have inadvertently fallen into. As President of Kelley Consulting Group Adil Minocherhomjee said, “If you don’t know what the commodization trap is, then chances are you have fallen into it.” The act of not differentiating yourself is the ultimate sin an individual or business can commit in a capitalist economy.

Before we get into developing your skill sets, we need to narrow down your job search to one industry. Focusing on one industry will help you custom-tailor your skill sets. E-mail HR recruiters the following: “I am a senior at Indiana University and I’m doing research on your industry. Can you send me the top five attributes that you look for in a prospective employee?”

Now we have something you can work with. For every hard skill mentioned – like Microsoft Excel – go to Amazon.com, purchase the book, and go out and pass a certification on it. Google it.

Soft skills are harder. Depending on the soft skill, you will probably want to take a leadership position. You can work for Habitat for Humanity like most people. You can also significantly improve your presentation skills by joining Toastmasters. 

Once you have maximized your personal skills, it’s time to put on your suit, shine your shoes and go in through the back. Utilizing your network your chances of success will exponentially heighten.

To expand your network, take the following steps:  
1) Join LinkedIn.com – the Facebook for professionals.
2) Add your friends, your professors, the recruiters you meet, your parents’ friends and me.
3) Use the search function. LinkedIn will tell you how you are connected to everyone.

Ask the connector to introduce you to your next potential employer.

Do not despair. The job search, as many things in life, is more about perseverance than it is about short-term success. So whatever you do, don’t lose that swagger. Things will be better soon enough.