Means on dream’s doorstep

2-sport IU athlete readies for NFL Scouting Combine

The NFL’s Scouting Combine is a make-or-break adventure.

It’s a glimpse – a foreshadowing of what can be a successful future.

It’s also a slayer – a crashing decrescendo of dreams first developed when prospects were just peewees.

But given the yin-yang implications, Andrew Means does not fear failure.

Rather, the former IU wide receiver understands he’s taking on a bridge in which few reach the other side.

The six-day extravaganza is an intimidating one.

Hundreds of NFL coaches and scouts will be watching his every move, every rep and every run.

Hundreds of players, like Means, will be glancing over their shoulders observing the competition and praying they somehow, in some way will falter.

There is no room for error.

And to make matters worse, the star-studded athlete will be all by himself.

Means is the lone Hoosier to participate in this year’s combine housed at Lucas Oil Stadium.

He knows hoards of media aren’t going to bombard him with recorders, TV cameras and whatever gizmos and gadgets China is inventing.

But he’s OK not being the face of the NFL Network during workouts.

Despite those misses, Means will be taken into consideration just as much as Georgia’s Matthew Stafford, just as much as Texas Tech’s Michael Crabtree.

He said every player runs, lifts and conducts most of the same conditioning regiments except for position-specific drills.

The equal opportunity assures Means he’ll get a fair shot.

However, it doesn’t help diminish the goosebumps as his once-in-a-lifetime workout nears.

“You definitely can’t avoid the nerves,” Means admitted. “It’s only natural. I’m constantly thinking about how things will play out.”

His thought process, though, might be more at ease than others.

Growing up in Avon Lake, Ohio, Means shared his love for pigskin with current Indianapolis Colts wide receiver Anthony Gonzalez. The two lived across the street from one another and, like their families, are still friends.

That plays to Means’ advantage – especially as the combine lingers.

Not many players can say they have a lifelong friend – or neighbor, for that matter – who caught the scouts’ eyes and plays in the NFL.

Coincidentally, Means said he emulates his friend’s style on the field.

Not a bad idea, since slot formations are becoming more frequent in NFL playbooks.

“I definitely feel like I model myself after (Gonzalez),” Means said. “We’re both six-foot, white receivers who adapt well to different offensive schemes. We have a lot of versatility that can help many teams out there.”

But the reality is most prospects don’t hear their name called on draft day.
What if Means doesn’t impress the evaluators in Indy?

Well, he has a fallback – to say the least.

Means, who also suited up for the IU baseball team, was taken in the 11th round of the 2008 Major League Baseball First-Year Player Draft by the Cincinnati Reds.

He said he doesn’t want to downgrade the Reds in any way, but is thankful the organization is allowing him to pursue his dream.

After the nerve-racking NFL experience, Means plans to attend Indiana’s Pro Day in early March and will join his baseball team for spring training.

In the back of his mind, Means hopes the NFL will contact him.

“I know I’m not the biggest name in the combine,” he said. “But that doesn’t mean I won’t surprise some people.”