Hoosiers battle for Big Ten runner-up

IU's Landon Marzullo competes in the men’s three meter diving competition during a swim meet against Kentucky on Saturday at the SRSC. Landon later won the event after setting a new IU pool record.

After the first night of the Big Ten Championships in West Lafayette, the No. 7 IU men’s swimming and diving team finds itself in a second place tie with No. 11 Minnesota. 

Down 123.5 to No. 4 Michigan, it is now a battle for second place with the Gophers, according to IU coach Ray Looze. Both teams have 154 points.

“Realistically we are fortunate to be where we are. We are swimming for second place now,” Looze said. “We need to be concerned with ourselves. Michigan has the best team here, and they proved that tonight.”

IU followed a strong morning preliminary session with somewhat of a lackluster finals session. With the exception of senior captain Matt Lenton’s third place effort in the 50 free, IU scored no higher than fifth in any swimming event. 

“We’re in a battle, that’s for sure,” Looze said. “We told the guys to come out swinging tomorrow.”

Friday’s events begin at noon with 400-IM, 100-butterfly, 200-free, 100-breast, 100-back and three-meter diving preliminaries. Finals begin at 7 p.m.