Architects unveil IU’s master plans

NEW ALBANY, Ind. – The IU board of trustees, after more than a year of work, agreed Thursday on new architectural master plans but vowed to stay true to the campus’ traditional style.

The plans, which will change the campuses of IU-Bloomington and IU-Purdue University Indianapolis, will be implemented over a span of 30 years.

IU hired David King, an architect from SmithGroup, last year to help develop the blueprint.

King, along with Terry Clapacs, IU vice president and chief administrative officer, delivered the presentation to the trustees during the first day of a two-day meeting at IU-Southeast New Albany.

“I’m very pleased to get the master plans approved,” Clapacs said. “It’s been a long and very busy year. The step the trustees made today was a very helpful step.”

Part of Bloomington’s master plan involves improved road conditions and integrated bike lanes for better and more economical transportation.

The presenters also expressed a desire to extend Woodlawn Avenue and Law Lane, primarily to help increase traffic flow.

They also discussed the possibility of a parking garage across from the Indiana Memorial Union and plans to eliminate or improve existing areas for parking.

“The specific details will be approved ongoing. It will be as they are presented to us,” said Sue Talbot, the board’s chair. “It’s a long process.”

Facility development and expansion were also discussed.

Whatever new buildings are to be planned, King said, IU officials want to continue using Bloomington’s classic architectural design of limestone, punched windows and varying rooftops.

While trustees said they hope to ensure Bloomington’s style, there was some controversy about what constitutes historic and what is just old.

The “outgrown” Ernie Pyle Hall, home to the School of Journalism, was one of the facilities for which the change was suggested.

Under the plan, the school would move to a different building, and the existing Ernie Pyle Hall would be utilized by the IMU to make the union a more centralized part of campus.

Securing adequate financing for proposed plans, particularly in the current economic recession, remains a central question for the trustees.

While IU receives appropriations from the Indiana General Assembly as well as other revenue sources, the current economy could put a damper on the progression of the proposed plan.

“We’re all struggling,” Talbot said. “We are waiting for the state legislature to deliver aid.”

Plans remain within the budget, and  while it is a good time to build, IU is missing a mechanism to fund road construction, Clapacs said.

“Certainly things have slowed down on one hand because funding for these projects is less certain than it was six months ago,” Clapacs said, adding that “the good news is it’s a very favorable construction market.”

Student trustee A.D. King said he hopes students are aware of the approval of the concept of the master plan.

“Overall, I’m thrilled,” King said. “The vision is very progressive and will better the campus and students experience at Bloomington and IUPUI.”

Friday’s meeting aims to formally approve the plans. Though only one member was missing Thursday, the whole committee will now be in session Friday.

“We really want to maintain the integrity of what Indiana University is about,” Talbot said, “whether it’s in Bloomington, whether it’s in Indianapolis, Kokomo, Fort Wayne – wherever it is.”