An infinite disappointment

Targeting fans of hipster romantic comedies such as “Garden State” and “Juno,” “Nick and Norah’s Infinite Playlist” attempts to match the charm and wit of others in the genre only to come up with something much less sincere and authentic.

“Nick and Norah’s Infinite Playlist” is based on two high school students, played by Michael Cera and Kat Dennings, who cruise New York City one crazy night with their friends in search of a secret show by their favorite indie band.

During the quest, the pair falls for each other.

The movie forces indie music at every turn, whether it’s songs from Vampire Weekend or Band of Horses, and makes several other music references to make the film seem that much hipper.

However, its biggest problem lies in the incredibly contrived feeling of the adventures and the dialogue, as if written and made by someone with no knowledge of high school, the indie music scene or even New York City.

The likability and connection between Nick (Cera) and Norah (Dennings) saves the movie.

Cera plays the harmless, awkward teenager with a deadpan delivery, and Dennings does a great job of playing a down-to-earth New York girl equipped with a wry sense of humor.

The film is also highlighted by cameos from “Saturday Night Live” cast members Seth Myers and Andy Samberg, but as a whole, the supporting cast really drags the film down.

The special features are pretty standard, with commentary, deleted scenes and outtakes. The movie’s finest extra is a funny interview with Cera and Dennings by Eddie Kaye Thomas, but that’s about the only one worth watching.

Unless you want to see Michael Cera being his usual amusing self, I would stay away from this one.