A Bloomington romance

Bloomington is not exactly the place that pops into your mind when thinking about a city of love, but when the weekend hits there is certainly plenty of lust. For a lucky few, that lust has led to love – or at least a relationship.

With Valentine’s Day fast approaching, people are searching for some way to woo their significant other.

Though Bloomington is not the Paris of the Midwest, there is plenty of romance to be found here.

For those who want to take the traditional approach to a Valentine’s Day date, many local restaurants offer specials for this romantic holiday.

“We offer a gourmet three-course dinner for $40,” said Craig Dalton, manager at Chapman’s Restaurant and Bar, “which is surprisingly low compared to other places.”
Chapman’s, a fine-dining restaurant on Third Street one mile east of College Mall, also has live piano music and the option of having roses placed on the table. 

Other fine-dining restaurants in Bloomington include Restaurant Tallent and Truffles Fine Cuisine.

Restaurant Tallent, 208 N. Walnut St., specializes in using local and organic ingredients to create their dishes.

Manager Laurent Saidah said Restaurant Tallent will offer a three-course menu on Valentine’sDay, priced at $50 per person, which includes three or four different options for each course.

The Valentine’s Day special at Truffles Fine Cuisine, 1131 S. College Mall Rd., features both food and drink.

“We have a four-course menu for $65 a person or $75 a person with a bottle of wine,” Truffles employee Amy Moseman said.

While a nice dinner at a chic restaurant is certainly an acceptable date, some might want to try for a more creative and less expensive approach.

Many local legends and fables cite IU landmarks as places of love and romance.
As the story goes, if two people walk through the Sample Gates holding hands they are destined to be married. The same is supposedly true of a couple that kisses in the Rose Well House, the gazebo located behind the Sample Gates close to Wylie Hall.

Another legend heard around campus involves a tree around which the Chemistry building annex was built. Allegedly, a couple carved their names into the tree when they were dating at IU and later married.
Years later, when IU wanted to build the Chemistry building, they needed to tear down the tree. The wife protested, and IU agreed to build around the tree, which is still standing today.

“I love dates that are unique and creative,” sophomore Alex Zago said, whose boyfriend took her to the tree. “It shows that the person really cares.”

Those who want an activity-oriented date or have some culinary skills might want to check out a cooking class called Nobody Knows The Truffles I’ve Seen. The class is also great for someone who wants to make a sweet surprise for their Valentine.

The class, which will be held Feb. 12 at the Bloomington Cooking School, will teach participants how to make chocolate truffles. The class costs $45 and includes a light lunch.

And for couples who really want to go all-out or are not operating on the typical college student budget, Bloomington and the surrounding area is home to quaint bed-and-breakfast inns.

Wampler House Bed and Breakfast, located about 10 minutes from campus, is a traditional bed and breakfast that also includes a massage and body spa therapist.

For something closer to campus, check out the Grant Street Inn or Scholars Inn Bed and Breakfast.

Whatever you choose to do this Valentine’s Day, remember it is not about where you are spending your evening, but with whom you are spending it.