Kendall flourishes as rising star due to praised ‘upperclassmen-like’ work ethic

Will Kendall is a beast.

On the court, his solid shots and strong serves dominate opponents.

IU coach Randy Bloemendaal said the freshman tennis player has the potential to become one of the top competitors in the country.

“Will, if physically he keeps improving at the level he’s improved at, can be an All-Big Ten, All-American,” Bloemendaal said.

Kendall grew up an athlete, playing tennis and hockey as a child. A singles player in high school, Kendall said he’s used to being around a team. Now halfway through his rookie year on a campus of about 40,000 students, Kendall said he is like any other freshman.

“Between the weights and the practices and the traveling, the schedule is just busier,” Kendall said.

The biggest difference might be the travel Kendall and his teammates experience. Kendall stood out in the Florida Gulf Coast Shootout with a tournament-leading eight victories, qualifying him for the All-Tournament team.

“He’s just like any other freshman,” Bloemendaal said. “He’s getting used to what we’re doing and getting used to the level. Every day he shows up ready.”

One of five freshmen on the team, Kendall has surpassed many expectations.

“Will’s got a pretty impressive work ethic for a freshman,” sophomore Lachlan Ferguson said. “He’s often doing extra stuff that you expect to see from your seniors. He started doing that on his own without anyone having to push him. That’s pretty unique.”

Bloemendaal praised Kendall, who was sidelined with a hamstring injury for part of his high school senior season, for his work ethic.

“He’s a competitor, a fighter,” Bloemendaal said. “He’s tough. He’s got all the intangibles that you need to do well at a high level.”

Kendall won both an individual and a team state championship at Milburn High School in Short Hills, N.J. Four years at the high school varsity level and two years as captain paved the way for Kendall’s freshman dominance.

“The level is a lot higher,” Kendall said. “There was a little bit of transition at first, just getting used to a lot of practice and class, but I’ve gotten used to it.”

His early victories make Bloemendaal think Kendall could become an asset to the team.

“I have no reason to believe he won’t (become an All-American),” Bloemendaal said, “because he’s gone above and beyond anything I thought he was going to do so far.”