The recession wreath

Ta da! Done.

Like most people right now, you’re probably feeling the effects of the recession. But it doesn’t mean you have to sacrifice the tradition of holiday decorating.

One of coolest-looking decorations you can make for about $2.50 plus some materials you probably already have around your house is what I call the “Recession Wreath.”

All it takes to make the wreath is two wire hangers, tape, scissors and lots of mangled trash bags. Besides being cheap, it’s also super-easy, and it’s a good way to make yourself believe you’re being productive while you watch all 24 hours of “A Christmas Story” on TNT or half-listen to Uncle Harry tell you every detail of his triple bypass surgery. It’s also a good way to reuse plastic bags from the store that you would otherwise throw away.

What you need to make the “Recession Wreath”

•2 wire coat hangers

•About 20 white, tall kitchen trash bags

(Note: It’s worth your while to use the cheapest trash bags possible. They are more fragile, but they give the wreath a prettier, translucent look. I use Ruffies brand tall kitchen trash bags to make the instructions clearer here, but if you can edit the instructions as you go, feel free.)

•Heavy-duty duct or packing tape

(Note: Use a drab-colored or clear tape that won’t show through the bags.)

•Scissors

•A red bow

How much will it cost?

•I recommend borrowing some tape free from a friend, and most of you already own a pair of scissors and can get the wire hangers free out of your closet.

•Trash bags: Ruffies brand trash bags can be bought at Target in sets of 35 for $1.57. Or, if you’re using plastic bags from the store, they’re free, but you’ll need at least 50 and quite possibly more than that.

•Red bow: A bow just the right size costs 99 cents at Target.

Total: $2.56 plus tax

Making the “Recession Wreath”

1) Tape the wire hangers together into a circle. Don’t strain to get it perfect – vaguely circular is good enough. If you’re not happy with how circular the wreath is when you’re finished, you can always bend it then, too.

2) Detach a trash bag from the roll and lay it flat out on a table, with the longest side perpendicular to you. DON’T unfold it yet; just lay it out there. If you’re using a plastic store bag, flatten it out symmetrically on the table.

3) Cut the bottom of the bag off. It’s  useless.

4) Cut the entire long side of the bag into 1.5-inch strips. Lay each of the strips aside in a stack. If, like me, you have crappy scissors that do not cut in a straight line, don’t worry. Even if they are slightly-to-quite crooked, they will end up scrunched together so closely on the wreath it will be difficult to tell.

5) After you have cut the entire trash bag into strips, pick one up. One end will have one “point”; the other will have four “points” or layers. Fold two of the points to the opposite side – the strip should now be twice as long (about 10-12 inches). If you’re using store bags, you’ll have to improvise to make the strips about 1.5 inches by 10-12 inches.

6) Now you’ll want to cut through each of the tops of the four points. If you’re having trouble getting the scissors through, put your middle finger on the top side of the plastic and your thumb on the bottom side, and rub them back and fourth. Each point should pull apart easily.

7) This should create four strips. Repeat this process for all the strips you have set aside.

8) Once you have cut the entire trash bag into the strips, you are ready to start tying them to the wire hangers. Make the length of the strip perpendicular to the wire, then tie it over in a knot (as you would, say, a string onto a wire).

9) Repeat steps 2 through 8 until you have covered the entire wire hanger with the strips. You want the strips to be as tight together as possible, so keep scrunching them together as you go. It will take a long time, but the results will be fantastic.

10) When you have covered all the wire, the wreath itself is done. Attach a bow, and hang it on your door!