men's soccer

Soccer player leaves IU for professional ranks

Junior back/midfielder Kevin Alston dribbles the ball during the Hoosiers 3-1 win against No. 9 Notre Dame on Oct. 16 at Bill Armstrong Stadium. IU soccer coach Mike Freitag confirmed Monday that Alston will turn pro passing up his senior season with the Hoosiers.

Junior defender Kevin Alston has decided to turn pro, IU coach Mike Freitag confirmed Monday.

The first-team All-Big Ten player will most likely sign with an MLS team.

While Freitag said Alston’s loss will create a void, he is sure another Hoosier will step in for Alston.

Alston was a part of a backline this season that help the Hoosiers record 10 shutouts, with eight of those coming against teams in the nation's top 25.

The defender from Silver Spring, Md., also contributed offensively with three goals and an assist on the season.

One score came in a 2-1 win against Duke on Aug. 29. Alston's unassisted goal came from six yards out and was a loft over the Duke keeper. The score gave IU a 1-0 lead in the season's first regular season match.

Another goal came in a 3-1 upset victory against Notre Dame on Oct. 16. Alston's strike from 25 yards out opened the scoring in the victory, with senior Kevin Noschang's goal three minutes later putting the game out of reach for the Blue Devils.

“I’m just so pleased to see his growth over the years, ” Freitag said. “He’s going to have great success at the next level.”

Freitag said he does not expect any other players to turn professional during break. The Hoosiers will resume practice in January.