Scarface's career comes to a close...supposedly

Does anyone believe this "retirement" will stick?

Former Geto boy Scarface brings his solo career to a close with his new album Emeritus. Though he declared his retirement years ago, this time seems a little different. Although the album isn’t full of the traditional farewell tales, it basically shows the consistency that Scarface has been known for over the years.

However, in a slight departure of his other albums, this one has more of a bitterness that recalls a sense of loss.

There really is no sense of finality in this album; it’s the same sound we’ve heard from Scarface before. One would expect that a final record would be filled with diatribes about a long career, but aside from some bitterness in a few tracks, nothing can label Emeritus as a retirement record. That’s probably because we all know rappers never truly retire.

Each track carries a lot of bitterness and anger, especially “Forget About Me,” which is full of spiteful lyrics. “Can’t Get Right,” “Soldier Story” and ironically “Redemption” all look back on Scarface’s career with bite. His thuggish lyrics and sound have a flow his fans can count on.

In his supposed farewell album it seems like Scarface is looking back on his career in a negative way. He’s always been able to provide solid, yet underrated hip-hop; and though he strays from that a bit here, it all still works.

His well-crafted compositions and strong, jabbing lyrics and rhymes in “Forget About Me” and “Can’t Get It Right” are the standouts, but even so, a cold feeling lingers over them. But either way, it doesn’t feel like the final album.

To the surprise of no one, Emeritus doesn’t sound much like a farewell. Scarface provides tracks that fit right alongside most of his catalogue, but there isn’t enough here to really stick out as career-ending or defining. It’s all great, but it’s also a shame that he didn’t put a proper stamp on a great career.