Portable pieces of art

Indiana weather. Let’s face it – we are all used to it by now. But I, quite frankly, am getting sick of it. Unprecedented rain, ice storms and snow have all weathered this campus in December alone and we, as students, are left to deal with it. So far this semester, the weather alone has personally claimed three of my notebooks, a textbook and my usual positive disposition to make it to class on time.

In trying to make it through the next two harrowing weeks, I’ve decided I must prepare myself for the inevitable: the weather. But where could I find functionality, clever designs and practicality all wrapped up into one affordable accessory to combat the adverse weather conditions here?

Simply stated: LeSportSac. 

The iconic accessories company has provided original artwork and simple designs for their audiences for more than 35 years. Chief Creative Director Muriel Favaro attributes the brand’s successes to its collaboration with noteworthy designers and up-and-coming graphic artists.

“One of the reasons for LeSportSac’s growth is that we have never strayed from the essence of the brand-accessible, functional, stylish products,” she said in an e-mail interview. “In addition, we have collaborated with fantastic, creative partners from Stella McCartney to various artists to keep the look of LeSportsac products fashion-forward.”

The company’s visual appetite for the latest designs has allowed it to introduce a new “Artist-in-Residence” every fashion season. This season, LeSportSac collaborated with BFree, the visual work of graphic illustrator Merijn Hos.

Hos’ work is comprised of simple characters and shapes coupled with bold colors to add a dramatic contrast to the patterns for the bags. Hos said included with every LeSportSac bag purchased from the BFree collection is a fabric hang tag with a brief biography of the artist.

With bright prints and practicality, how exactly could one accessory company persuade a greater female population on a college campus to purchase their product?

By creating a simple, identifiable logo that serves as piping for their nylon accessories, LeSportSac has little to do in terms of advertising to successfully communicate its product to a larger audience.

What makes LeSportSac a unique accessory is its ability to combine artwork and self-expression all housed into one visual medium: a handbag.

With innovative designs and a rich fashion tradition, one must ask, “Well, why would college students want to buy these? Couldn’t portable pieces of art run hard on a student’s budget?”

LeSportSac bags will not run you the price of a Fendi “Spy” bag, a Long Champ “Le Pliage” bag or even a generic JanSport backpack. LeSportSac offers a variety of affordable accessories ranging from as little as $18 to as much as $128 for an extra-large weekender bag.

Price points aside, LeSportsac offers itself up as a great alternative to the mundane choice in school bags. With more than 48 patterns and designs released during a season, more opportunities can be given to your own distinctive LeSportSac bag.

Because all of the LeSportSac bags are readily available in nylon, they offer the perfect protection against Indiana weather. Ladies, I’m speaking to you, whether your seasonal affective disorder is setting in, you have seen the Herman B Wells Library more than your boyfriend in the last week or you need a retail fix – consider LeSportSac.