Sunday, June 16

Annual holiday benefit to honor deceased IU student

Harmony School to receive proceeds for scholarships

Bloomington musicians will raise money this weekend in memory of former IU student Madeline Krause.

Proceeds from Krista Detor’s third annual Holiday Show at 6:30 and 9 p.m. Friday at the John Waldron Arts Center auditorium will go to the Madeline Krause Harmony School Fund.

Krause was an IU student who died earlier this semester after jumping off of a downtown parking garage. She attended Harmony School in Bloomington for high school.

Shortly after his daughter’s death, Jim Krause said his daughter planned to eventually teach at Harmony School.

“Harmony School meant so much to her,” he told the Indiana Daily Student in a Nov. 18 article. “I think they have a very unique community (and) family atmosphere.”

Detor said she was a friend of the family and Krause’s piano teacher.

In the past, the Holiday Show has benefited other organizations, Detor said. After learning about Madeline Krause’s death and the school fund, she decided to have the benefits go toward the fund.

“The scholarship fund helps the students whose families do not have a lot of money,” Detor said.

Detor said her daughter attends Harmony School.

Harmony School’s high school coordinator, Sallyann Murphey, said the fund supports students’ tuition.

Murphey said donations have been made for the school since Krause died in November. More than $3,000 has been collected for the school so far.

“This is a very sad time, and it just is amazing how people have moved this tragedy to try and create some benefit to others,” Murphey said.

Murphey said Detor chose to have the show benefit the scholarship fund because of the “tragic events surrounding Maddie’s death.”

Students will contribute to the show by selling refreshments at the door, ushering and designing programs, Murphey said.

The show will feature singer/songwriters such as Detor, Arbutus Cunningham and Carrie Newcomer, according to a press release.

Detor said the show will provide people with holiday entertainment, as well as give money to further students’ educations.

“It benefits a very good cause,” Detor said. “It’s a great way to celebrate the holidays and community and to remember Madeline and to carry her love for Harmony School forward.”