Students gather to honor those who served

Armed service veterans salute the American flag during Veterans Day ceremonies Tuesday morning in the Monroe County Courhouse Rotunda.

A basket of letters filled more and more as students gathered to honor veterans Tuesday. The letters were waiting to be shipped to soldiers abroad, a small token of gratitude toward people who make tremendous sacrifices.

The Union Board, IU Veterans Support Services and the Military Veterans’ Club sponsored an event in the Indiana Memorial Union to honor student, faculty and staff veterans.

“These guys have seen things most of us never will or never want to, and we owe them gratitude,” said Tyler Coward, assistant director of Union Board’s Outreach Committee.

The gathering featured a presentation and food. Organizers estimated more than 100 people came for the three-hour event in the Georgian Room.

Coward said the veterans on campus don’t get a lot of recognition, and this was an opportunity to honor them for their sacrifice.

Margaret Baechtold, director of the IU’s Veteran Support Services, said this was the first time she could remember an event honoring student veterans.

It’s not so long ago that U.S. foreign policy caused conflict on college campuses, said Dean of Students Dick McKaig. Now, there has been an increased discussion about the men and women serving in the armed forces.

While some still disagree with U.S. policy, they are generally respectful to those who are called, and McKaig said people look at issues in a new way.

“I think it’s really changed the dynamics,” Baechtold said.

People who attended could write letters to those serving overseas.

“The people I’ve talked to – any little thing that reminds them of home makes their week,” Army 2nd Lt. Chris Arnett said.

Arnett and 2nd Lt. Pat Corbett were there with the Army ROTC to show their support.
Arnett and Corbett said they haven’t been to Iraq or Afghanistan, but they are going to war zones in the near future.

Though Baechtold said she sees 320 students in her office per semester, there’s no exact count of the number of student veterans, and there are many student veterans she doesn’t know about. The veterans she sees visit her office to take advantage of the GI Bill and other services.

She said she’s always trying to find those veterans – if there are things her office can do for their education, she’d like to help.

There are students in the National Guard serving overseas now postponing classes, McKaig said. Others are going out this spring and summer.

“I think it’s just important to support our troops,” Corbett said.