sports cross-country

Runners look ahead to Nationals

After a season full of ups and downs, the IU cross country team looks to lengthen its season this weekend at the NCAA Great Lakes Regional Championships.

The meet is being held on Saturday just up I-65 in West Lafayette.

Both the men’s and women’s squads would like to extend the year, but the teams each have different circumstances going into the meet.

The Hoosier men are confident in the race, as their strong season and current No. 28 national rank have put them in a good position to move on to Nationals as a team.

“We’re looking to shoot for the top three,” said freshman Andrew Poore, “but we’re going to do that by running as a pack and running smart early. We need to keep an eye on Wisconsin and Michigan, but our depth should be able to carry us through.”

Currently the Hoosiers are ranked third in the region – the top two advance to nationals.
At-large bids are announced Monday.

In addition to these advancing teams, the top four athletes who are not on an advancing team will automatically earn a trip to Nationals.

The women, however, have a steeper hill to climb. Currently they are ranked sixth in a region with a wealth of talent and depth.

Like the men’s field, the team needs to finish in the top two to qualify for Nationals.

“It’d be great if we could move on,” said freshman Chelsea Blanchard, “but a lot of the conference teams are tough and will be there. We’re coming in as underdogs, so we have to run well.”

Junior Wendi Robinson has a great chance to qualify as an individual and insisted the team still has a shot.

“As a team it would be great if we could do it,” she said. “It would take an unbelievable effort, but we’ve progressed so far, and if we have a solid race we can prove that we’re a good team.”

At-large bids are announced Monday.