IU Student Media Board names spring EIC

Michael Sanserino, an IDS managing editor, answers a question during a publications board meeting to select the next editor in chief Friday in the Indiana Memorial Union. The board selected Sanserino to be the Spring 2009 editor in chief.

Senior Michael Sanserino said he hopes he can continue to evolve and improve the Indiana Daily Student, and although he knows everything he wants to accomplish won’t happen in one semester, he wants to at least “plant seeds” to continue growth at the IDS.

The IU Student Media Board announced Friday that Sanserino will take the reigns as the spring 2009 editor-in-chief of the IDS.

“Michael was a candidate who brought significant newsroom experience,” said Ron Johnson, director of IU Student Media. “He’s very realistic in what the IDS can accomplish and improve.”

Sanserino, who is currently one of the IDS’ two managing editors, ran for the position unopposed.

“Just because I am running unopposed doesn’t mean I’m unresponsive,” he said during his public interview. “I will be accountable to readers and respond to them.”

The IU Student Media Board consists of 11 members, with representatives from the IDS, Arbutus yearbook and the IU Student Association, along with professional journalists.

During the selection interview, Sanserino said he hopes to rework the IDS Web site to ensure it is constantly being updated throughout the day to give readers a reason to come back. In addition, Sanserino said he would like to foster an atmosphere that allows for more teaching so all staff members can continue to learn and improve.

He said he is excited to lead a group of people in whom he has a lot of faith.

“I don’t foresee any big changes, but we can always improve on what we do,” he said. “We’re never going to be perfect, but that should always be our goal.”

Sanserino said one of his goals is to find a balance between what people want to know and what people need to know for the front page of the newspaper.

“I want people to think big and see the forest from the trees, to see the investigations we’re missing,” Sanserino said. “Is what we’re reporting in the paper the best thing for our readers?”

Another one of Sanserino’s goals is to “plant seeds” to bring diversity of opinions and backgrounds into the newsroom.

“I want to try to get a better sense of the pulse on campus,” Sanserino said.

He plans to do this by meeting with campus leaders and asking them to evaluate the IDS’ job and what the newspaper can do better, while also gathering a better sense of what the jobs of other campus leaders are like.

Current IDS managing editor Sara Amato said she’s confident he will continue to evolve the IDS Web site. 

“He’s got a really strong head on his shoulders,” she said. “He has a clear vision in that he knows what he wants to do.”

Johnson said Sanserino’s realistic approach to what the IDS can accomplish is a vision that will transcend the spring semester.

“He’s demonstrated a mature and thoughtful management approach that shows great promise for him as EIC,” Johnson said.