Adams gets country rock down to a science

Decorating your studio with Christmas lights makes for brilliant recordings.

Ryan Adams is as well-known for his reckless behavior as he is for his immense talent.

But with his second album after finding sobriety, Adams appears as clear and confident as ever. His last album Easy Tiger was an great collection of songs that exhibited the new, brighter Ryan Adams but was little more than an unconnected collection of songs.

With his new album Cardinology, Ryan Adams has taken the formula he established through four albums with his extraordinary country-rock band the Cardinals and created a set of songs that recalls the Grateful Dead, Willie Nelson and even U2 in his most focused and fluid release to date.

Although it does not provide as memorable of songs as some of his earlier work, Cardinology comes together to make for one of his most solid overall efforts.

The album opens boldly with the anthemic yet graceful “Born Into A Light,” which resonates with elegant vocal harmonies, gentle guitar picking and the wringing of distant pedal steel guitar.

“Crossed Out Name” is a simple and insular piece that sees Adams’ voice as transcendent as Bono’s. “Let Us Down Easy” is a gentle and spiritual serenade with a calming gospel call-and-response chorus.

Cardinology has few clear standout tracks and few clear low points, but it chugs along in a graceful fashion, allowing it to come together to make one great whole.

However, the record is also just more of what you heard on Adams’ last three efforts with the Cardinals: Cold Roses, Jacksonville City Nights and Easy Tiger.

Although the similarities are there, Adams’ knack for songwriting in this alt-country format is uncanny and fantastic.

You won’t hear anything new with Cardinology, but the album is another signature effort for Ryan Adams. While those older fans won’t be amazed, the album would be a great starting point for those who are unfamiliar with Adams’ 12-year event-filled music career.