Report shows rise in Indianapolis’ average temperature

The average temperature in Indianapolis in 2007 was 2.7 degrees higher than the historical average, according to a new study released Wednesday by Greenpeace and Environment America.

Many in Greenpeace hope this sends a message to candidates hoping to be elected in less than three weeks.

Collectively, America’s average temperatures have increased in the past seven years, and many blame this increase on global warming.

Greenpeace organizer Lisa Ramsden said the report, “Feeling the Heat: Global Warming and Rising Temperatures in the United States,” compares government temperature data for the years 2000-2007 with the “normal” temperature for the preceding 30 years, 1971-2000.

“It’s clear that our energy isn’t just hurting us at the pump, but it’s also causing Hoosiers to feel the heat,” Ramsden said. “The good news is that people here are already acting, and now they’re looking to their candidates for Congress to step up and support real solutions.”

Greenpeace states in its report that the next Congress and the next president must address a new solution for an energy policy that controls global warming.

More than 150 members of Congress have endorsed strong principles for action on energy and global warming.

“We urge congressional candidates Baron Hill and Mike Sodrel to support strong science-based legislation that would put the U.S. on track to solving global warming,” Ramsden said.

Sodrel’s Campaign Manager Ryan Reger said he believes America must become energy independent because it is necessary to lower our trade and budget deficit.
Baron Hill recently addressed global warming as his No. 2 concern behind the country’s economy, Ramsden said.

Greenpeace is a world leader in  international environmental organization.

“We need to use our energy more efficiently,” Ramsden said. “We need to put a limit on how much global warming pollution gets dumped into the atmosphere and we need to start investing in clean energy like wind and solar instead of dangerous coal and nuclear plants.”

Edyta Sitko, global warming field organizer for Greenpeace, said she is calling on candidates for Congress to be aware of the attention global warming is getting across the country and world.

“Our nation’s three main problems revolve around the energy crisis, the economy crisis and the global crisis, and it’s very important to send a message out that these are all connected and interlinked,” Sitko said.

Others agree that action is needed to solve the problem of global warming. 1Sky intern senior Brittany Kelly said she believes global warming is a multi-generational problem.
“Science says we have to change what is happening,” she said.

“I want to see an improvement for my kids and grandchildren, and right now I don’t see that happening,” Kelly said.

1Sky has the same goal as Greenpeace, but it works for the national campaign. It puts pressure on presidential candidates more than congressional candidates.

In the report, Greenpeace urged the United States to reduce its global warming emissions by at least 25 percent by 2020 and 80 percent by 2050 and make energy efficiency improvements.

The accelerated development of renewable energy is Greenpeace’s main focus for the presidential and congressional candidates.