IU, Purdue launch alliance Web site to promote sciences

IU is joining forces with in-state rival Purdue to launch a Web site to increase awareness of a joint initiative called the Indiana Innovation Alliance.

The goal of the Alliance is to enhance the biosciences and life sciences industries and other related fields using research throughout Indiana, said IU spokeswoman Susan Williams.

The site – www.indianainnovationalliance.org – is a way to connect to the flock of people who are computer savy, said Victor Lechtenberg, Purdue’s vice provost for engagement.

“Like a lot of programs, you can use the Web site as an information source and communicate that pretty easily,” he said. “It’s an information resource, not anything magical, just a place to go and learn.”

The Web site shows the mission of the Alliance and its strategies and impact on the state. Lechtenberg said the Alliance plans to add more to the site, such as a question-and-answer section.

“We’re trying to say if you put the strength and horsepower of IU and Purdue behind some of the same kinds of initiatives and get them working together in cooperative ways, we can do a better job of advancing the economic strength of the state of Indiana,” Lechtenberg said.

The two schools hope to increase funding and research, which should attract companies whose discoveries and innovations will lead to better jobs and more scientific discoveries, Lechtenberg said.

They are asking the Indiana General Assembly to provide the alliance with $35 million for each year of the 2009-2011 state biennial budget, Williams said.

The Alliance also wants to work with existing companies in the state. The end result is to improve the state’s health care system and bioscience economy.

The medical education funding will increase enrollment by 30 percent over a six-year period to the IU School of Medicine, Williams said. The medical-education centers will increase class size, and third- and fourth-year programs will be added.

Of the $35 million proposed, the IU School of Medicine would be granted $5 million to advance its programs, said William Stephan, IU vice president for engagement. The additional enrollment would then address what Stephan calls a looming national trend in physician shortage.

“As we look at this appropriation, the School of Medicine plays a significant role in that some of that 35 million a year for two years would help us increase our capacity in areas where we have strengths,” Stephan said.

The alliance was announced in June, but the decision from the General Assembly will not be made until January, said IU spokesman Larry MacIntyre.

“We are bringing together the strengths of both institutions to help the state of Indiana,” Lechtenberg said.