Hollywood agency, talent production group starts

A new student-run talent agency has arrived on IU’s campus, straight from Hollywood, and it’s encouraging all creative students to join.

The Blooming Artists Agency, also known as BAA, will function like a real Hollywood talent production company where members can come to a student-run management team with a script, idea or concept.

“The management team will then assist them in pre-production by gathering the cast, crew and resources needed for their specific project,” said Jack Shannon, president of BAA.

Shannon is a senior majoring in finance with a minor in telecommunications and said the BAA’s goal is to create a liaison between students and alumni involving a variety of majors. Once a project is taken on, the agency will see it through production and assist its members by finding a gateway once their work is completed.

The BAA will be a subsidiary of the Hollywood Hoosiers Alumni Association based out of Los Angeles.

IU theatre and telecommunications alumna Jessica Patelle-Slagle said she founded the organization with the purpose of creating a social network, sharing information and establishing a variety of media contacts for IU alumni.

“Over the last three years, it’s taken a lot of problem solving to best serve the alumni social networking atmosphere,” Slagle said. “We really wanted to do this as professionally as possible and give back to the University that has given us so much.”

After working in Los Angeles as an intern for the head of MGM Studios, Shannon was inspired by Slagle’s concept of bringing IU alumni together from all over to work in the entertainment industry.

Hollywood Hoosiers is also looking forward to a partnership with New York and Chicago to have a bigger production hut, Slagle said.

“Our goal is to create a liaison between students and alumni involving a variety of majors,” Shannon said. “There has never been an organization to bring all majors with a career in the entertainment industry together.”

People interested in becoming directors, actors, writers, producers, editors, lighting and sound technicians, musicians, photographers, costume designers, make-up artists, production managers, Web designers and game designers are strongly encouraged to get involved.

Telecommunications professor Mark Deuze agreed to be the group’s academic adviser and works closely with Shannon.

Vice President of Creative Affairs for BAA and senior Nick Wilson began talking to Shannon about starting the student-run talent agency on campus this summer.

“For a creative professional, a reel is the visual resume that shows future employees your work and experience,” Wilson said.

Telecommunications senior Kelsey Laesch spent her summer in Los Angeles interning for Valhalla Motion Pictures Film Production. After learning about Shannon’s and Wilson’s idea to start the BAA, she said she thought it was a great way for students to get real-world experience.

“Students will have the opportunity to get internships from each other even if they aren’t a telecommunications major,” Laesch said. “It’s a great way to get involved with people in the media industry.”

The BAA’s main purpose is to pool creative people under one organization and work together on projects its members want to pursue, Shannon said. It is a student connection – a liaison between media students and alumni involving a variety of majors.

Senior David Moeller said he got involved because he felt disillusioned with corporate America and wanted something creative.

“We don’t care what major you are, but if you want to go into a career in entertainment, this is the right place,” he said.

Moeller is majoring in marketing and he said he dreams about accepting his first Oscar.

“I’ve always wanted to do writing on the side, but now I want to make it the main dish,” Moeller said.