Former U.S. Rep. speaks for Obama

Former U.S. Representative Lee Hamilton said he believes Obama really can bring change to this country, he told an audience at a local retirement community Thursday.
“Barack Obama is a candidate who can give this discouraged country a lift,” Hamilton said.
Engaging Voters of Southern Indiana, a group aimed at mobilizing voters, sponsored a presentation by Hamilton, who was Indiana’s 9th District’s U.S. Representative for 34 years.
The event took place at Bell Trace retirement community, where he announced his reasons for supporting Barack Obama as the next president of the United States.
The primary intent of the lecture was to have Hoosiers hear why Hamilton, who is well known and respected in Indiana, supports Obama, said Anne McLaughlin of Engaging Voters.
The two biggest issues in the campaign today are the candidates’ abilities to restore the American dream, as well as American leadership in the world,  Hamilton said.
He said that based on his reactions to the Georgia crisis and Iran’s nuclear program, it is clear that John McCain is aggressive, makes impulsive decisions and is unwilling to compromise with foreign countries.
Hamilton said Obama focuses on major issues. Because he asks many questions he understands the concerns of citizens and can mitigate, if not erase, Americans’ fears regarding adequate health care, job retention and retirement funds – his economic program is directed toward “ordinary people.” He will also put diplomacy first instead of “foolishly” responding with military force before accounting for the agenda of a country, Hamilton said.
“You can tell you are dealing with a person of formidable intellect,” Hamilton said. “He comes into the room briefed.”
This year the Democrats could pick up anywhere from 20 to 35 seats in the House and a few in the Senate. Hamilton said this is because the Republicans are vulnerable and sick of President Bush.
More than 4,000 Americans have been killed in the current wars, and tens of thousands are in hospitals because of Bush’s command to invade the Middle East, so much rests on a presidential decision, Hamilton said.
Bob Woodman, 97, and a Bell Trace resident, cannot remember a time he has not voted in a presidential election, or when he’s ever voted for a Democrat. However, he said Hamilton did not move him, and he might not cast a vote this year, he said.
Unlike years past, Indiana is now a battleground state that could end up blue in November.
“Don’t be casual about your vote. ... Indiana is going to play a hugely important role in the selection of the president,” Hamilton said.