EXCEL conference promotes socially responsible leaders

Business students should ‘help out the environment’

About 2,000 students will learn about EXCEL over the next eight weeks in K201, the Kelley School of Business’ “The Computer in Business” class.

However, no spreadsheet will compare to the experience that Expanding and Creating Excellent Leaders will give.

The name EXCEL is more than the software used by the business world today. It is also the name of a conference geared toward graduate and undergraduate students.

The fifth annual conference, scheduled for 1 p.m. Saturday at the Kelley School of Business, offers workshops from leaders in the business market. The conference’s goal, as the keynote speech will address, is to encourage students to become socially responsible leaders, said Kenton McDonald, EXCEL conference chairperson.

“We’re looking at alternative energies and looking at developing leaders who will help out the environment,” McDonald said. “(We’re) looking at developing social involvement, developing students socially, professionally and for the community as well.”

Among the speakers will be Mike Whittier, business developer for BloomEnergy.
Whittier, who will be a panelist with two other speakers during his session, will talk about alternative energy. Although many people only think of solar and wind energy, there is new, little-known technology.

“I’m going to be speaking about fuel cells in the marketplace,” Whittier said. “What they are, how they work, the different types of fuel cells that exist. I want to bring the students up to speed about some of the new emerging technologies that are out there.”

On the other hand, Louis Maldonado, the client director for the marketing agency, D Exposito & Partners, will revolve his workshop around emerging domestic markets. There are key things he hopes students take away from his section of the conference.

Maldonado said students need “to be cognizant of these markets, the fact that they do exist and they aid business opportunity that lies within them.”

Other topics will be covered during the EXCEL conference – from gas prices to the recent crashes on Wall Street – McDonald said.

Maldonado said students need to “know that there are potential opportunities, when they actually start their careers, to be reliable and ethical consumers, particularly youth and young adults, are rapidly growing in number and influence.”