Arrow Open golf outing to be held this weekend

Philanthropy raises $12K out of $20K goal

The wide smile on a child’s face brought upon by a brand new book is what Pi Beta Phi is aiming for with this weekend’s Arrow Open golf tournament philanthropy event.

Both morning and afternoon sessions are sold out with 220 people registered for this weekend’s events, including students and community members. It will take place at 9 a.m. Sunday at the Cascades golf course, 3550 N. Kinser Pike.

In its third year, $12,000 has already been raised, and a total of $20,000 is expected, said Jen Naye, vice president of philanthropy for Pi Beta Phi. In the first year of the outing, $3,000 was raised, and $10,000 was raised last year.

“I’m just excited to be a caddy and ride around in the golf carts,” said sophomore Meg Hamill. “I’ve never played golf before.”

The money is divided three ways: half goes to the Pi Beta Phi Foundation, which helps with scholarships, and the other half is divided between the Holt House and First Book. Holt House holds all the national Pi Beta Phi archives, and First Book is an organization that strives to help improve the literacy rate in Bloomington.

“Last year we opened up our chapter so we can grant books to children, especially with the rough economic times,” Naye said. “We can help further their education.”

The books are donated to Arlington Heights Elementary School and Fairview Elementary School. Pi Beta Phi’s national headquarters is trying to open First Book chapters across the country, Naye said.

The 115 members of the Pi Beta Phi chapter also have opportunities to volunteer at the elementary schools throughout the year including book fairs, Halloween parties and after-school programs, Hamill, who plans to help with a Halloween party, said.

The participants of the golf outing pay $40, which includes 18 holes of golf, a cart, prizes, raffles and a banquet dinner. Donations can be made throughout next week to any Pi Beta Phi member.

“We’re so thrilled how the students have come out to support us,” Naye said. “We’re hoping to expand First Book very soon. We want to eliminate the barrier of illiteracy.”