Wire for hire

With three weeks in the book, we can already tag a number of high fantasy draft picks as 2008 busts. But there have also been a number of players who have come out of nowhere who should last on your roster. Now I pose the question to you, who would you rather have on your roster?

Randy Moss, wide receiver, New England Patriots, or Eddie Royal, wide receiver, Denver Broncos?

A month ago, unless you lived in the greater Denver area, you probably would have never heard of Royal.

Now on the verge of October, the Virginia Tech product is putting up better numbers than a guy who caught 23 touchdowns last year. Moss is supporting the haters who thought his numbers would go down with Tom Brady’s knee and the Patriots title hopes by playing at a sub-par level and not being as dominant as possible.
At the end of the week, Royal ranked 11th among all receivers in points, while Moss, a first-rounder in many drafts, was tied for 28th.

Braylon Edwards, wide receiver, Cleveland Browns, or Chansi Stuckey, wide receiver, New York Jets?

Edwards has been even more of a disappointment than his team as a whole, netting 73 receiving yards for a whopping six points. The most telling stat about Cleveland’s No. 17 is his shaky hands – he has eight catches and five drops.

Stuckey, meanwhile, has shined as the Jets third receiver and has caught three touchdown passes. According to Yahoo.com, Stuckey’s point total has more than quadrupled Edwards’ for 2008.

Steven Jackson, running back, St. Louis Rams, or Felix Jones, running back, Dallas Cowboys?

Jones, a backup who probably was selected in your fantasy draft near round 12 or 13, has five more points than the guy who was likely selected with your fourth or fifth pick. Jackson is putting up mediocre numbers on a horrendous team and will have a better second half of the season, benefitting against playing weaker opponents late.

But there is no excuse for the results. Jackson hasn’t found the end zone yet, and Jones has reached it twice rushing the ball and once on a kick return. A side note: Baltimore Ravens fullback Le’Ron McClain has more points than Jackson.

Peyton Manning, quarterback, Indianapolis Colts, or J.T. O’Sullivan, quarterback, San Francisco 49ers?

Manning has precisely four fewer points, three more interceptions, the same amount of touchdowns, 79 less passing yards and – hear this Colts fans – one less win that O’Sullivan, who sounds like a guy who you would expect to scam you when buying a Hyundai rather than someone to lead you to the end zone.

3 on the Wire

Steve Slaton, running back, Houston Texans: If he’s still available, pick him up immediately. Houston is only going to improve as the season goes along, and Slaton has all the makings for putting up Offensive Rookie of the Year numbers.

T.J. Duckett, running back, Seattle Seahawks: Wow, I can’t believe I’m making a T.J. Duckett reference in 2008. But his three touchdowns means he is stealing goal-line carries away from Julius Jones, and that makes him worthy of a start when your team is in a pinch.

Anthony Fasano, tight end, Miami Dolphins: Fasano is probably having a better year than your tight end, and you just don’t know it yet. Pick him up when your TE needs a bye.