Virtual campus to premiere Sept. 15

Kelley School replicated in Second Life

Students and faculty will log onto their computers on Monday to view a virtual tour of campus and interact with others in a virtual world.

The Kelley School of Business now exists in the a virtual world called Second Life in which users create their own avatars, dress them as they please and take classes through Kelley Executive Partners. The unveiling of this world will take place at 1 p.m. Monday. The unveiling will include a panel discussion in live time and a tour of the virtual campus.

John Cady, executive director of Kelley Executive Partners and marketing professor, said Second Life is a substitute for companies that work with the Kelley Executive Partners.

“As companies are increasing travel costs, this is a response to them needing to reduce costs,” he said.

The Kelley Executive Partners has about 25 clients, all of which come from a variety of locations from New Zealand to Pakistan. Local businesses include John Deere, Eli Lilly and Company, 3M and General Motors – all of which will be using Second Life.

Employees will learn about problem solving and management skills and they can run meetings. Though it’s meant to educate full-time employees of Kelley Executive Partners, students and faculty can create avatars to view the island, Cady said. Kelley Executive Partners plan to hold events in Second Life for the public as well as private events in which only specific employees might attend.

“We’ve tried to create a space that is kind of familiar, but the element of physics and geometry are not restrictions,” Cady said.

The Kelley School of Business had to hire an architect and a builder to help build the Godfrey Graduate and Executive Education Center, which exists on an island in the virtual world. To create this world, it cost less than $50,000.

“It feels kind of like the business school, but it’s not exactly the same,” said Lura Forcum, communications manager for the Kelley School of Business. “There aren’t as many walls, and people can fly. They’ll be giving a boat race in Second Life to show how you can collaborate and solve problems.”

Second Life has been around since 2003, and since then has gained millions of users, Forcum said. Second Life has it’s own currency and users can buy clothes for their avatars.

“Major companies have made an avenue there,” Forcum said. “I think it’s a natural progression from Sims, but you control yourself.”

Carolyn Wiethoff, clinical associate professor of management and entrepreneurship in the Kelley School, will begin teaching the first class in November through Second Life. Wiethoff will also be part of Monday’s panel. Second Life will be in full swing for all Kelley Executive Partners clients in January 2009.

For people who want to participate in the online unveiling of Second Life, they must RSVP at http://www.kelleyevents.com/index.php/launch-event-registration. About 40 to 50 spots are available for people who want to create their own avatars and participate in the tour, Cady said. Avatars can be created at http://www.kelleyevents.com/index.php/create-second-life-account. Others can watch it via Web cam. After sending an RSVP, a URL will be forwarded to participants so they can partake in the unveiling.

“It’s really wicked cool,” Wiethoff said. “I was a little skeptical until I spent more time in Second Life. It’s really amazing how quickly that avatar becomes you. It’s also funny how attached you become to your avatar.”