Logo use violates IU policy

This Miller Lite sign at Kilroy’s shows IU’s logo, despite the University’s policy not to use its trademark to promote alcohol.

IU policy states that the University will not allow its trademark to be used to promote alcohol, among other products, but posters and signs promoting IU and Miller Lite are displayed in bars and stores throughout the city.

IU spokesman Larry MacIntyre said the marketing agreement is a “problem” and the University is working to correct it.

The materials feature the IU logo, a Miller Lite logo, IU’s football game schedule and a decal that states Indiana University Sports Properties, a division of Learfield Sports.

“We are going to correct it,” MacIntyre said. “It might take a little bit of time, but it will stop.”

He said IU President Michael McRobbie does not want IU’s logo on beer posters.
The materials exist because the athletics department has a contract with Indiana University Sports Properties, which does sports promotions, MacIntyre said. He said he is unsure exactly how this happened but said the University is working to find out.

The IU trademark policy states: “Indiana University will not license the use of its name or marks to promote the following products: alcohol, tobacco, controlled substances, sexually oriented products, religious products, or games of chance.”

Bob Agramonte, regional vice president of Learfield Sports, said the posters were not approved by IU or Learfield Sports and most of the signs and posters had been taken down.

He said its not that IU can’t work with alcohol companies, but they are severely restricted by what they can do. At one point the posters, printed by Miller Brewing Co., were allowed, he said.

At least one poster is still displayed in the Convenient Food Mart, 1401 N. Dunn St., and another at Kilroy’s Bar & Grill, 502 E. Kirkwood Ave.

Dave Wampler, manager of the Convenient Food Mart, said the beer distributors bring the materials in, and they’ve been doing it for years.