IU junior makes ‘The Price is Right’ appearance

Student brings home-theater system back

It cost him nothing to appear on national television, and he’s bringing back a $3,200 home-theater system.

Overall, the price was right for junior Jason Hain.

Hain appeared on “The Price is Right,” a popular TV game show. His episode was taped July 22. That episode will air at 11 a.m. today on CBS.  

“It was one of the most fun experiences of my life,” Hain said. “It was a great experience.”

Hain wound up on the show thanks to a friend, Steve Bell of the University of Colorado-Boulder.

“I was out there on vacation with one of my friends, and he’s a really big fan of the show,” Hain said. “He was the one that got us the tickets, so really I just went along with him, and I ended up being called.”

Hain was surprised when the announcer called his name.

“I couldn’t believe I was up there on stage standing with Drew Carey, knowing I was going to be on national TV,” Hain said.

Hain did not make the Showcase on the show, but he did make One Away, the step before getting into the Showcase.

“I actually lost the game on stage,” he said. “When I spun the wheel I got beat out by a higher amount.”

Hain received some help from Bell while he was on stage.

“He was giving me prices,” Hain said. “I would always look back to him. He watches the show all the time, so he actually knew what he was doing more than I did. He was excited for me – a little envious because he was the one going for it – but he was excited.”

In terms of his greatest memories, Hain rates this experience among the best.

“This would obviously be a great memory, and it would rank in my top five memories up to this point in my life,” he said. “Definitely top five. It was just a great experience.”

Hain recommended that everyone try to experience “The Price is Right” if they have a chance because of the experiences he had on the show.

“I would tell anyone – whoever goes out to Los Angeles – to get tickets for the show,” he said. “Anyone is a potential contestant if they’re in the audience.”