IU grabs 2 wins despite injury

What started with a setback when sophomore standout Brenna Moeljadi fractured her femur ended on a high note as the IU field hockey team extended its winning streak to three games with two wins this weekend in Missouri. The Hoosiers (3-1) beat Missouri State 5-1 Saturday and left Saint Louis scoreless on Sunday, as they tallied four goals.

IU coach Amy Robertson was proud of the wins, as well as how her team reacted to the setback.

“We had a key injury Saturday, so we had to shuffle people around,” Robertson said. “A lot of people needed to step up, and despite what it may look like, these were not comfortable wins. The scores looked like we completely dominated, but we didn’t ... we just responded well to the pressure.”

Still, Robertson had two reasons why the weekend was a great one for her squad.

“First, everyone played. This means we were able to give experience to people that needed more,” she said. “The other reason is that both teams played really well against us, and this showed us more things we need to focus on and things we can work on this week to get better.”

Although the team managed to come out ahead both days, sophomore forward Lena Grote said she was far more impressed with the team’s performance Sunday.

“I think in the game against Saint Louis, we patched up on a lot that we were lacking and truly came together as a team,” Grote said. “Saturday, we played well, but I think we could have had better communication and could have finished more of our goals. Today it all came together. ... It just clicked.”

Grote – along with sophomore forward Katie Griswold – scored the first two goals together Sunday, followed by a powerful shot by freshman midfielder/forward Jaclyn Zamudio and a goal off a penalty corner from junior midfielder/back Elizabeth Schmidt.
Zamudio said she is happy with how the team came together, but knows there is still a lot to work on.

“We need to perfect our press, perfect more of our circle-scoring opportunities, work on our corners, and execute every transfer we can,” she said. “It’s early still, and we’re going to keep getting better.”

On a more personal level, Zamudio isn’t completely content with her one goal.

“I’m going to continue to put more in the cage and to finish more,” she said. “I want to be more dynamic and most importantly, more dangerous.”

Schmidt also said despite the success the Hoosiers had this weekend, she knows what the team has to practice to improve for next weekend.

“Corners, corners, corners,” she repeated. “It’s where we are most threatening. We have top hitters that are strong and powerful, and perfecting that will help us to be successful next weekend.”