Hoosiers open in New Mexico

In 2002, IU coach Clint Wallman served as an assistant coach for the New Mexico Lobos women’s golf team.

That year, his team captured the team title in the Branch Law Firm/Dick McGuire Invitational. Now Wallman looks to win the tournament with his new team – the Hoosiers.

The IU women’s golf team is in Albuquerque, N.M.,this week to compete in the 29th edition of the invite, hosted at the Lobos’ Championship Course.

Wallman said he is looking forward to the tournament and what he called a semi-homecoming.

“It’s going to be a lot of fun,” he said. “It’s one of the oldest golf tournaments out there.”

Although the tournament started in 1979, its origins date back much further.

From 1956 to 1978, the top women’s teams would compete against the elite men’s program in the William H. Tucker Invitational in one of the sport’s top events of its time.

The event grew so popular that eventually it was decided each gender needed a separate tournament. As a result, the women started the Dick McGuire Invitational and the men stayed with the Tucker. In 2003-2004, Branch Law Firm of Albuquerque became the title tournament sponsor for the event.

The Hoosier lineup this week will consist of the junior trio of Anita Gahir, Laura Nochta and Kellye Belcher. They will be joined by senior Amber Lindgren and sophomore transfer Cecilia Orevik. Freshman Sara Poppas will compete as an individual.

Lindgren said she felt like the team is ready to play and be productive in their first tournament of the season.

“I want us all to work hard and make the best of it,” she said.

Lindgren added that with four new freshmen this year, she has taken on a leadership role and is trying to help the new players adjust to college life.

The 16-team field will include four teams ranked in the Top 30 by the Golfweek preseason poll. They include No. 8 Pepperdine , No. 19 New Mexico, No. 23 TCU and No. 27 UNLV.

Wallman has been preparing the Hoosiers for this tournament all week since he has knowledge about the golf course. Nochta said the team has been practicing putts with a lot of break to account for challenging greens.

The team also had the opportunity to play the course on a spring break trip last year, but did so with 50-mile-per-hour winds. They hope this week’s conditions will be better.

Nochta said she believes the format of the tournament – teams will play 18 holes each of the three days – instead of the common 36-18 split over two days, is better and will give the team more rest.

The women’s golf team, which placed 18th in last spring’s NCAA East Regional, will take their first step toward their goal of qualifying for the NCAA Golf Championship with the tournament this week.

Wallman said he is eagerly anticipating seeing how the team handles the situation.
“Competition tells all,” Wallman said. “We are definitely looking forward to playing.”