Fantasy football, week 2

Two things I learned this week: The NFC is better than the AFC, and if you listened to me last week you probably lost your matchup.

In case you missed the big news out of the New England-Kansas City game, quarterback Brodie Croyle will be missing some time after separating his shoulder against the Pats.

Oh, he’s not the big news? Forgive me.

Pats quarterback Tom Brady is out for the season. Considering all the hoopla surrounding this injury, the only people legitimately missing his presence outside of Patriots fans – and the butt-kissing media who incessantly sweat him and his 50 touchdowns every day – are Brady’s fantasy owners.

Do you think Brady would take back all those second-half, blow-out touchdowns he threw last season to break Peyton Manning’s record for a healthy 16 games in 2008? If you don’t believe in karma, coach Belichick, I suggest you start.

As for the thousands (dozens? five? anybody?) who maybe followed my advice last week, I apologize. I’m not sure who was rustier, this fantasy lover or Peyton Manning. To be fair, we both had the same number of holes in our lineups and neither of us played in the preseason.

Don’t fret. It’s a long season. Especially for those of you who had Brady.

Week 1 stars

Donovan McNabb, quarterback, Philadelphia Eagles – Philly looked like one of the best teams in the NFL last weekend as McNabb led them to a 361-yard, three-touchdown performance over the St. Louis Rams. Up next is a Monday night tussle with Dallas.

Michael Turner, running back, Atlanta Falcons – Maybe it was because Turner had a career’s worth of fresh legs to carry the Dirty Birds, or maybe we saw a glimpse of what coach Mike Smith brings to a team who tied for the third-worst record in the league last year. Or maybe Turner’s 220 yards and two touchdowns were simply a product of Atlanta’s opponent being Detroit. Time will tell, but this was a great week for the Burner.

Eddie Royal, wide receiver, Denver Broncos – In probably the least-viewed game of the week, Royal put together a 9-catch, 146-yard performance with a touchdown to boot. Don’t jump on his bandwagon just yet, because back for the John Elways is Brandon Marshall in week two.

3 to start

Adrian Peterson, running back, Minnesota Vikings – AP still had a great game against the Packers and is now licking his chops to play Indy’s patchwork run defense at Minnesota’s home opener.

Anquan Boldin, wide receiver, Arizona Cardinals – After seeing the Jets’ receivers carve up the Miami secondary, angry Anquan gets at least his first touchdown of the year in a week 2 stomping.

Ryan Grant, running back, Green Bay Packers – This pick is simply on principle, Grant is playing Detroit.

On the wire

Matt Cassell, quarterback, New England Patriots – With all those weapons, why not give the guy who is going to throw to them a shot?

Shaun Alexander, running back, free agent – Rumor has it he will sign with a team within the next week or two. Look like a pro in your leagues for picking him up before this happens. Also, Alexander says he is healthy again and ready to return to form.
Tim Hightower, running back, Arizona Cardinals – The Cards gave this man a goal line carry over Edgerrin James. Make sure that if this happens all season you are getting those points.