Seniors named Athletes of the Year for 2007-08

Exner, Hesen excel on the field and in the pool

Senior field hockey goalkeeper Haley Exner and senior swimmer Ben Hesen were named the Indiana University Female and Male Athletes of the Year for 2007-08 by the IU Department of Athletics on Thursday.

Exner was also the University’s female recipient of the Big Ten Medal of Honor, given annually to a student in the graduating class of each Big Ten school that demonstrates proficiency in scholarship and athletics.

The San Diego native excelled as the Hoosier goalkeeper, being named first-team All-Big Ten the last three seasons in addition to being honored as Big Ten Defensive Player of the Week six times in her career. Exner was named to the National Field Hockey Coaches Association West Region second team as a sophomore and to the first team her junior and senior seasons. Exner leaves as IU’s career leader in wins (38) and goals against average (1.54).

IU field hockey coach Amy Robertson said that Exner helped bring the IU program to prominence, leading the Hoosiers to their only NCAA Tournament appearance in 2005.
“Haley had a stellar career and she contributed greatly to helping establish the Indiana field hockey program as one of the nation’s elite, both on the field and in the classroom,” Robertson said in a statement. “She was a leader for us throughout her career, so this is a tremendous way for her to be recognized for all of her hard work.”

Hesen captured the national title in the 100 meter backstroke at the 2008 NCAA Championships becoming the first Hoosier since Jim Montgomery to capture the 100-meter freestyle and 200-meter freestyle in 1976.

Hesen, a Jeffersonville, Ind. native, captured the NCAA title with a time of 44.72 seconds, nearly a second lower than his school record and the second-fastest time in NCAA history. The title completed an undefeated season for Hesen in the 100 meter backstroke. He also won Big Ten titles in the 100 meter backstroke, 200 meter backstroke and 100 fly, earning Big Ten Swimmer of the Year and Big Ten Swimmer of the Championship honors.

IU swimming coach Ray Looze said the honor was a fitting end to Hesen’s successful career.

“Ben is very deserving of this honor,” Looze said in a statement. “When he decided to attend IU he called me back four days after I visited his home on July 1 (the first permissible day to meet prospects in person). To this day he remains our earliest commitment. One particular moment of the past year comes to mind when thinking of Ben’s season. After winning the individual national title, he asked if the accomplishment would help the team. In a nutshell, that is Ben...always putting the team first.”