La Casa sponsors free retreat

For those interested in being leaders in the Latino community at IU, La Casa, the Latino Cultural Center, is sponsoring the annual Latino Leader’s Retreat.

The retreat will be Sept. 12 and Sept. 13  at Bradford Woods in Martinsville. Those interested should e-mail lacasa@indiana.edu by Monday. There is no cost.

The trip is an opportunity for those involved in different Latino groups and others interested, including freshmen and faculty, to set goals, build leadership skills and network, said Lillian Casillas, director of La Casa.

It’s a time for participants and representatives from all the different groups to come together to figure out what they want as individuals, as an organization and as a whole community, she said.

Other centers, such as the Asian Culture Center and the Neal-Marshall Black Culture Center, have similar programs, Casillas said.

Though the organizations work hard, a goal of this retreat is to get them to work together, she said.

Junior Jennifer Rios first went as a freshman. She said she didn’t know many people before going but remains good friends with those she met.

“It’s a retreat to get to know other people,” she said.

She hopes she can help new students get a lot out of the retreat.

“I was in their position one time,” she said. “I like helping them because I know what they’re going through.”

Usually 30 to 40 people attend, Casillas said. The numbers consist of one or two representatives from each organization, the La Casa staff, which is about five people and other interested students. Casillas said a bigger gathering of more than 400 people happens in the spring.

Activities include workshops in goal-setting, identifying leadership styles, event-planning, activism and community service,