Hoosiers start regular season

No. 7 IU takes on Duke, No. 12 Akron

IU forward Michael Roach goes after the ball during a game against Michigan State on Oct. 6, 2007, at Bill Armstrong Stadium. IU won 2-0.

For junior forward Kevin Noschang, the annual fall Adidas/IU Credit Union Classic brings back good memories.

Last season, Noschang scored the only goals as the then-No. 8 Hoosiers tied No. 9 Maryland and upset then-No. 1 UCLA. He credited IU's depth as a reason why the Hoosiers will be a threat not only this weekend, but throughout the season.

"This team is the best team I've seen in my time here," Noschang said. "We're really deep. We've got a lot of great players."

The No. 7 Hoosiers, with a 2-0 exhibition game record, take on Duke at 7:30 p.m. Friday and No. 12 Akron at 2 p.m. Sunday at Bill Armstrong Stadium. The Hoosiers defeated Tulsa 3-1 and North Carolina 3-0 on Aug. 20 and 22, respectively. Duke went 0-1-1 in preseason. while Akron lost to No. 24 UNC 2-0.

The Hoosiers have not played the Blue Devils since 1997 or Akron since 2006.

Despite not having recent experience against the two squads, IU coach Mike Freitag said information from scouting reports compensates for lack of playing experience.

"At this point in time I'm more worried about (our team)," Freitag said. "Sometimes I think you can worry too much about an opponent and over-prepare."

Akron also has a pair of Freshman All-Americans: Anthony Ampaipitakwong and Steve Zakuani. Both will prove a challenge for IU's defense.

The Hoosiers' Chay Cain, a first-team All-Big Ten goalkeeper; junior defender Kevin Alston, second-team All-Big Ten; and junior defender Ofori Sarkodie, second-team College Soccer News preseason All-America anchor, provide a solid defense for the Hoosiers. Senior midfielder Brad Ring was also named first-team College Soccor News preseason All-American.

Freitag acknowledged a "little rivalry" between the Zips and Hoosiers, as former player and assistant coach Caleb Porter will lead Akron in his second game against his alma mater. Porter was coach in 2006 when the Zips lost 2-0. Porter worked for both former head coach Jerry Yeagley and current coach Freitag as an assistant from 2000-2005. As a player, he was selected first-team All-Big Ten in 1996 and 1997.

Sarkodie's younger brother Kofi is also a defender for Akron and will likely start. Their mother Olivia plans to attend the game.

"She's very excited," Sarkodie said. "She'll sit in the middle of the stands and not wear any red or blue. Just a neutral color."

With two freshmen – forward Will Bruin and defender Tommy Meyer – starting on Friday, the veterans will have to step up. Freitag and Noschang said the younger players will have to deal with some pregame "jitters."

"It'll be under the lights here at a beautiful field, and there'll be some butterflies," Freitag said. "If there weren't, I'd be a little worried."

Noschang said a season-opening victory would set the tone for the rest of the season.

"It's pivotal," he said. "We just have to get that first win under our belt and build off it."