County food drive falls short of goal

‘Tough’ economy blamed for lack of help, donations

Rising prices have strained the pocketbooks of many Monroe County residents, causing some to resort to organizations like food pantries as a way to put food on their tables. 

During the past three years, the number of people seeking food assistance has doubled, said Meri Reinhold, executive director of Monroe County United Ministries.

The third annual Each One, Feed One Community Food Drive gathered food for the people most crippled by the current economic downturn this weekend.

The goal was to collect 18,000 pounds of food, but the total amount after two days was only 13,706. The total last year was 15,332 pounds.

“That’s not surprising, because the economy seems to be getting tougher and tougher for everyone,” said Rebecca Stanze, development coordinator for MCUM.

Originally the event was launched to prevent MCUM from temporarily closing its emergency food pantry due to lack of goods, Reinhold said. But hunger statistics have proven the dire need for the program in the community.

One in four Monroe County children is at risk for hunger or malnutrition, and 738,000 Hoosiers do not regularly get enough to eat, according to the Monroe County United Ministries Web site.

All food-serving organizations have felt the pinch of the economy, but many people have stepped up to the challenge, Reinhold said.

“We just live in this extraordinary community; when there is a need, and it’s publicized, people really reach out,” she said.

The MCUM food pantry differs from food stamps and state aid because of the nonexistent wait period, said Vicky St. Myers, an emergency services caseworker at MCUM. The pantry provides food on a walk-in basis so nobody leaves empty handed.

“The clients need food, and they need it immediately,” she said.

MCUM offers a variety of other services for the distressed such as subsidized childcare, assistance with rent and utility bills, bus tickets for transportation to important appointments and a variety of clothing and hygiene products.

The mother/daughter team of Sue and Leigh Dukeman has donated its time to MCUM for three years. The experience is rewarding, and they do it to give back to the community and help others because “you never know when you could be one of those people who need help,” Sue said.

Volunteers also fell short this year, and Reinhold urges everyone to come forward for MCUM’s holiday food drive and to help with other services. For more information, visit www.bloomington.in.us/~mcum/index.html.