100 point scale used to judge DCI performances

The Drum Corps International World Championships are taking place Aug. 7-9 at IU's Memorial Stadium.

Thousands of spectators will have their eyes on the top drum and bugle corps for the kickoff of the Drum Corps International World Championships Thursday, but only 11 will determine the winners.

The 40 corps competing in two divisions for the coveted title of World Champion will have to make a positive impression on 11 judges who will decide their fate in the competition.

Corps will compete in the World Class and Open Class divisions. The World Class division is made up of people aged between 16-21 in corps of a maximum of 150 members.

On Thursday, all 20 corps in the World Class division will compete, with the top 17 scoring corps advancing to Friday’s semifinal. From there, the top 12 corps will advance to Saturday’s final. The Open Class division will follow a similar format. 

A score for each round is given out of 100 points, in which 40 come from the General Effect category and 30 each from the Visual and Music categories. Judges determine point totals through scoring rubrics. 

Out of the 11 judges, five tally points for visual performance, and the remaining six tally for musical performance. Some of these judges observe the competition from above in the press box, and others are on the field.

Being on the field is something that Judge Administrator John Philips said is an
amazing experience.

“When your down there it’s like being part of the performance,” he said. 

Within the visual section there are judges for performance, ensemble and color guard. In the music section there are judges for brass, ensemble and percussion.

The people making the decision come from a pool of 130 judges who handle most DCI events. For the  Championships in Bloomington this weekend the field will be reduced to 50 judges. 

Philips said that to be effective, a good judge needs to have a solid musical background and also an open mind.

Each drum corps may play music from a variety of genres, making it essential for the judges to have a strong sense of the different types of music. Physical demands are also placed on the members to be in correct formation to make the performance visually appealing.

Philips, who has more than 25 years of experience, greatly enjoy his job.
“Judging drum corps, there is nothing like it,” he said.

For updates on this weekend’s championships, check out www.idsnews.com/news/dci