Campillo’s sizzling summer continues

As if a second place finish at the NCAA Championships and a final round appearance at the British Amateur Championships weren’t enough, senior Jorge Campillo added another trophy to his mantel June 27 when he helped lead Team Europe to a Palmer Cup victory over the United States in Glasgow, Scotland.\nA native of Caceres, Spain, Campillo teamed with Tim Sluiter to win a four-ball match against Oklahoma State freshman Rickie Fowler and Florida senior Billy Horschel 4 and 2. Later that afternoon, Campillo faced off against UCLA Bruin senior and 2008 NCAA Champion Kevin Chappell, where he was defeated 4 and 3.\nThe United States led after the first day of competition 6.5-5.5. As day two began, the morning foursomes proved to be a good indication of the Palmer Cup’s final outcome.\nCampillo and Sluiter once again teamed up to play a best-ball format and defeat a team of Chappell and Fowler 3 and 2. The rest of Team Europe followed suit, sweeping the Team USA in the rest of the day two foursomes and in doing so took a commanding 9.5-6.5 lead going into the afternoon singles matches.\nCampillo was later matched up in a singles match against Fowler. Each player won five holes and halved the other eight in an up and down match that ended in a tie. Eventually, Team Europe took care of business, finishing up the afternoon singles 4.5-3.5 and, in turn, won the competition 14-10.\nThe Palmer Cup is like a college Ryder Cup, where team golf is emphasized to win the tournament. One point is awarded to the winner of each matchup. If a match ends in a tie, each player is awarded half of a point. At the end of the tournament, points are tallied up and the team with the most points is awarded the title.