sports field hockey

Bashore officially named to Olympic roster

COURTESY USFIELDHOCKEY.COM
Kayla Bashore

IU graduate Kayla Bashore can add her name to the ever-expanding list of Hoosiers competing in this year’s Olympic Games.

Bashore, a 2005 graduate, was officially named to the Olympic field hockey roster after her performance during this summer’s training camps.

“I am looking forward to getting to Beijing,” Bashore said in an e-mail interview while training in Germany. “But I also don’t want to fast forward past the journey and the process of getting there.”

Bashore will be spending the remainder of her summer training both her body and mind.
“In the next few weeks, we’ll be training hard and doing what we can to be prepared for all the Beijing might bring,” she said. “This includes the heat and air pollution as well as nutrition and taking care of our bodies.”

The U.S. team officially earned their bid to the Olympics in April and several players competed for roster spots over the course of the spring and summer. This is the first American field hockey team to qualify for the Olympics since 1996.

During her four seasons at IU, Bashore helped lead the team to their winningest record in school history  and its first NCAA tournament appearance. She was named an All-American twice and was unanimously voted the Big Ten Player of the Year her senior season.