Sheriff's Department is investigating IDS editor-in-chief accident

The Monroe County Sheriff's Department is investigating a one-car accident that occurred May 20 involving Indiana Daily Student Editor-in-Chief Michael Reschke.\nAn Indiana State Police crash report indicated alcohol was involved in the accident, which damaged a utility pole and a mailbox in the 5500 block of South Fairfax Road. Driving south down a curve in the road, Reschke lost control of the car, which hit the mailbox and utility pole before flipping over. The accident, which officers were called to at 4:19 a.m., caused no serious injuries, but Reschke reported pain in his shoulder, according to the report.\nReschke said if charges are filed, the IDS would handle the situation the same as it would if any other prominent campus organization leader potentially caused an alcohol-related accident.\n“We’re treating the situation the same as we would for any student leader on campus,” he said.\nReschke was not given a breathalyzer test, but took a blood test, the results of which are still pending.\nInterim Student Media Director Nancy Comiskey stressed that, while waiting for the blood test results to come in, the situation will be given the same attention and treatment as it would if any other student leader on campus were involved.\nComiskey said her first reaction was to make sure no one was hurt in the accident.\n“Fortunately, there were no serious injuries other than a sore shoulder,” she said.