Potential IU recruit Maurice Sutton chooses Villanova

While IU head coach Tom Crean reeled in two big fish this week, one got away.\nMaurice Sutton, a senior from Largo High School in Maryland, announced May 21 that he has chosen Villanova University over IU, Kentucky and Seton Hall. Sutton, a 6-foot-10-inch center, was originally recruited by Crean at Marquette. \nSutton averaged 18 points, 12 rebounds and 9 blocks during his high school career. He is considered a three-star recruit and is the No. 23 center in the class of 2008, according to Scout.com. \n“It’s been a long process,” Sutton said. “But I’ve been praying, and in the end, I chose ’Nova.”\nIt was initially reported that Villanova was not offering Sutton a scholarship, but Sutton confirmed that they in fact did. While scholarships are always an issue for college athletes, Sutton said another factor significantly influenced his decision – location.\n“Location meant a lot,” Sutton said. “Especially towards the end of the process. I realized how much my family meant to me. God chose for me to go to ’Nova, and I can’t argue with that.”\nAlthough many Hoosier fans were hoping to sign Sutton as a front-court big man, Tuesday’s addition of Tijan Jobe will help fill that position. Jobe, who is listed at 7 feet, is a junior-college transfer set to join the Hoosiers next season.