MCCT to debut ‘Little Red Riding Hood’ at Rachael’s Café Thursday

Monroe County Civic Theater is set to debut its production of “Little Red Riding Hood” May 15 at Rachael’s Café, according to a press release from MCCT. The original adaptation of the Brothers Grimm fairy tale was written by playwright Ruth Aaron Grove.
Director Hannah Moss said she chose the story of “Little Red Riding Hood” because it is meaningful to both children and adults.
“The goal of this production was to develop a play that included many actors of various ages so that MCCT could provide theatre opportunities for both regular MCCT participants and new volunteers,” she said in the press release.
Inspired by a “three-to-four-page story,” Grove wrote an original 70-page script that combines the common characters Little Red, Grandmother, Wolf and Huntsman into a woods filled with unique beings including the Wickedest Wicked Witch, Prince Clever of Obscurity, Princess NoFace, a People-Hugging Tree, Trapper Tradesman, Logger Larry, Nutzo the Campy Squirrel, Alice and a trio of magical elves, according to the press release.
“Audiences should expect to be entertained by the wild combination of usual and not-so-usual characters, Moss said in the press release. “Hopefully they will see beyond the traditional story of a little girl in the woods into the common theme of facing fears head-on and confronting them rather than avoiding them.”
MCCT’s 15-member volunteer cast includes IU students and Bloomington residents ages 9 to 71. MCCT regular and 12-year-old Meggie Bontrager, who stars as Little Red, is joined by an ensemble of actors that includes veterans of the community stage and newcomers acting for the first time in a public performance.
“I hope everyone will get a kick out of the humor in the play,” says Bontrager. “It’s been a great opportunity, and this is definitely an amazing experience. Ruth Aaron Grove’s ‘Little Red Riding Hood’ is a unique play and a fun family show that audiences will remember forever.”
The first performance of “Little Red Riding Hood” will be at 7:30 p.m. May 15 at Rachael’s Café. The production will also be at other venues around town, including on May 16 and 17 at the Cinemat and on May 18 at the Monroe County Public Library. Admission is free to the public.