Former Missouri State coach to join Hoosier bench

Indiana head women’s basketball coach, Felisha Legette-Jack recently announced the hiring of Katie Abrahamson-Henderson. She will join the Hoosiers June 1 after serving as an assistant coach at the University of Washington for a season.\nA native of Cedar Rapids, Iowa, Abrahamson-Henderson is no stranger to the Big Ten Conference. She played two seasons for Iowa after transferring from the University of Georgia, where she helped the Bulldogs earn the 1986 SEC title. At Iowa she played for the current Rutgers coach C. Vivian Stringer.\nAfter brief stints coaching for Duquesne University and the University of Maine, Abrahamson-Henderson served as assistant coach and recruiting coordinator at Iowa State from 1994-2000. There she helped guide the Cyclones to three straight twenty-win seasons and four straight NCAA Tournament appearances.\nAbrahamson-Henderson earned her first head coaching job at Missouri State University. There, she led the Lady Bears to a 95-61 record in five seasons, including two regular season Missouri Valley Conference (MVC) Championships and three MVC Tournament Championships. She helped hone the skills of 11 all-MVC players during her time there.\nKnown as “Coach Abe” to many of her former players, Abrahamson-Henderson is well respected for her character, intensity and competitiveness.\n“I really enjoyed playing for coach Abe,” said Tiffany Terwelp, a former player at Missouri State. “She is a great person and coach and it was sad to see her go. She is really intense and is an amazing competitor. I think it is great that she has the opportunity to move up in her coaching career and Indiana University is lucky to have her.”