The Little 5 Style Guide

Longggisland Apparel 124 E. 6th St.
• Tank form plaid shorts: $80
• Christian Audgiu "crown": $77 
• Project e "prepster" polo: $62
• 575 Trucker vintage jeans: $50
• Triple 5 soul reversible jacket: $150
TOTAL: $419

While attending a recent spring fashion show, I realized that Little 500 week, the
biggest week here at IU, is upon us.

Of course, I immediately started contemplating the perfect Little 5 outfit. I wanted to find an ensemble that could be worn to the track during the day, but also something that, with a little touch-up, could be worn to the parties later that night.

First, let’s start with what ladies should wear. For a stylish, comfortable look during the day, opt for denim, multiple-pocket shorts with a cute scoop-neck sleeveless T-shirt. This allows room for some skin without being too scandalous. Stick with bright, spring colors such as yellow and turquoise, which will make your outfit stand out. Keep to light, synthetic fabrics as much as possible when it comes to your top. Cotton and similar materials will only induce more sweat.

If its cold and rainy, you should find a cute waist-level jacket, preferably one with a little color and a few pockets. Celebrities such as Lindsay Lohan and Nicole Richie have recently been seen wearing cute denim jackets and even khaki jackets. If you are wearing those cute denim shorts, you want a denim jacket. Otherwise, stick to a khaki jacket or one of similar material.

During the day, throw your hair in a ponytail or a bun, but whichever you pick, make sure it’s in style. You can always check out style.com and similar Web sites for tips on how to get the best hairstyle.

Day makeup should be light. That means no smoky eyes and no lipstick; save that for the night.

Get this ladies — all you have to do is let your hair down, put on that extra makeup, throw on a pair of cute stilettos with a matching clutch, preferably patent leather, and you are ready to get on that dance floor. It’s that simple.

Men, it’s even easier for you. To the track, wear khaki shorts or shorts of a similar material. Jean shorts have been out since the ’90s, and it should remain that way. Wear a simple T-shirt or a polo. The color rules apply to you as well — the brighter the better. You probably want to wear tennis shoes, because it is a track, after all. You have to do very little to prepare for the night. Just switch tennis shoes to flip flops, make sure you are sweat free, throw on a long silver or gold necklace and a flashy bulky watch and you are ready for the party. If you prefer to party in jeans, just make sure that if you wear a dark fade you pair it with a light T-shirt and vice versa.

To get an idea for what I'm talking about check out the fabulous outfits to the right, from Longggisland apparel and InSeam Denim Supply.

Remember that looking great is not difficult and takes minimal effort. Being a fashion disaster is the worst thing in this world, and no one wants to be remembered as such. If you just keep to my simple instructions, you are sure to be the topic of everyone’s conversation – only this time they will only have good things to say. See you at the parties.