‘Riverdance’ stops at IU for farewell tour

Born of the intricate moves and traditions of Irish step dance, “Riverdance” has traveled across the Atlantic and made its way to the IU Auditorium. As part if its farewell tour, “Riverdance” will visit IU at 7:30 p.m. Tuesday.\n“It’s something (audience members) haven’t seen before,” long-time traditional Irish dancer Maria Buffini said. “The show is high-energy, very entertaining and there’s something for everyone, whether young or old.”\nBuffini has worked with “Riverdance” most of her career, following in the steps of her older sister. She has been dancing since she was 4 years old and feels a deep connection to the show.\n“Obviously, it’s becoming my life,” Buffini said. “Irish dancing was always a part of my life, but ‘Riverdance’ is more than I’d ever imagined. I feel like I’ve accomplished something.”\nBuffini is one of six leads in the production, along with Craig Ashurst, Liam Ayres, Alana Mallon, Christina Havlin and Marty Dowds, the Dance Captain. “Riverdance” is composed of three different companies that span three different areas: The Foyle, performing in Ireland every summer; the Corrib, performing in the UK and mainland Europe; and the Boyne, performing in North America. The three groups include Irish dance leads and the larger troupe, the band, singers, tap dancers and members of the Moscow Folk Ballet Company. \n“Riverdance” was first performed in the 1994 Eurovision Song Contest. This show featured Irish Dancing Champion Jean Butler, Michael Flatley and the Celtic choral group Anuna with a score by Bill Whelan. The production went on to be called “Riverdance the Show.” It is now controlled through the company Abhann Productions in Dublin by husband-and-wife team John McColgan and Moya Doherty.\nThe show is comprised of two different acts. The first act tells the history of Ireland, showing Irish ancestors forming the place they would call home, according to the “Riverdance” Web site. It emphasizes the importance of song and dance throughout the generations. The second act is comprised of bringing that tradition to another continent: America. Based on the vast immigration of the Irish because of the 1845-1947 potato famine, the show features the collision and collaboration of many different cultures.\nThe production, rich in Irish and American history and culture, will continue in Europe and Ireland, but this performance is the last opportunity to see the show in Indiana. Tickets are still available through the IU Auditorium Web site at www.iu auditorium.com.