Raising the bar

The screeches of a lone trumpet faded into the steady beat of the bass all throughout Saturday night at the IU Auditorium. The New Orleans Jazz Orchestra played for one night only, lighting up the stage with the native sounds of Bourbon Street. \nNOJO, known for its immense talent and inspiring music for those who need some inspiration post-Hurricane Katrina, was led by trumpeter Irvin Mayfield. The 16-member orchestra, complete with drums, bass, piano, brass, saxophones and clarinet, kept the beat flowing with each song. \nEach member of the all-male orchestra bobbed his head to the rhythmic melodies, playing notes on an underlying beat, accented by numerous claps and cheers from the audience and shouts from fellow performers. Mayfield in particular was a crowd-pleaser, not only for his impeccable playing but also for when he spoke to the audience between songs. He even jokingly announced his run for president and commented on the heart and soul of Indiana: basketball. \nBut the best bit was on the blues. Mayfield read a poem he felt symbolized the blues, with the help of his gifted bassist who was “unfortunately from St. Louis.” The poem told the story of a love-struck poet dealing with the loss of a stone-cold woman. And when the band began to play, the story came to life. Closing my eyes, I saw the whole story unfold: the first look, the passion, the betrayal, the jealousy, the leaving, the hurting and the healing through each bar. It was the pinnacle of the evening.\nAnd while the blues number was my favorite, every song told a story. Each performer got “two bars” as urged by Mayfield, and all of them took full advantage, throwing out notes with such skill and range it felt that the instrument itself was speaking to the audience. Tales of joy, excitement, sorrow, spontaneity, pain, grief and unadulterated truth poured from trombone, trumpet and saxophone. It was a beautiful evening that captured a cultural essence.\nThe whole performance was one flame – shining its rhythmic light through the dark aftermath of a storm – only to grow brighter and stronger. And when Mayfield so coyly asked the crowd, “Did you like that?” I knew my answer would be the same as the crowd’s: a resounding “Yes, sir.”