Planning an artful summer

As you are all extremely aware, summer is quickly approaching, and time is being taken from the studious concentration of physics, anthropology and comparative literature, and is being focused on beaches, booze and the burning sun. With this sudden approach of frivolity and potential summertime decadence, students may ask themselves, “Where will I find time for art?”\n“With all the time being required to visit museums and read stories I’ll be losing, I’ve been wondering whether or not I’ll be able to notice art this summer,” sophomore Matt Belt said. Many others have followed this sentiment, fearing that since they are no longer required to appreciate the finer things in life, they will soon drop into a veritable hellhole of summer fun and cookouts.\nBut don’t worry! This art appreciation expert is here to give you the tools you need to get the fullest experience of artistic living this summer. This whole semester, I’ve been here, helping you appreciate your walk to class in a way you’ve never felt before, and I’m going to give you a few last tips on how to get the most out of your postmodern summer.\nHit the books. Who said just because school’s out you should take a break from reading? With all the downtime you’ll have, you should at least try this as an activity. Most students agree that when you aren’t forced to read something, it becomes much more enjoyable. It’s either that or the “Rock of Love 2” marathon that you’ve seen three times already.\nGo to a show. Summer is the best time for venues of all performance media – film, music, comedy, you name it. Given the amount of spare time you’ll have, why shouldn’t you see a different movie at the theater every single night? And don’t forget your summer concert series wherever you are, let alone the plethora of festivals from Bonnaroo to Lollapalooza. It’s either that or jamming out to that crappy Mims CD in your car from last summer.\nMake art wherever you go. I can’t stress this one enough. As you may remember from columns past, I insist that art is everywhere, and if you don’t see it, you aren’t looking close enough. Just because school is out doesn’t mean you have the right to waste your time. Change up your routine this summer and see how much art you can put into it. If you do something that takes you by surprise, captures your complete thought or emotion, or speaks from inside you, you are in the presence of art.