Mellencamp to take stage with both Obama, Clinton

INDIANAPOLIS ­­– It looks like rocker John Mellencamp is an equal-opportunity campaigner – at least when it comes to Democrats.\nMellencamp, who was born and lives in Indiana, is taking the stage to support both Democratic presidential candidates, first at a Barack Obama rally Tuesday night in Evansville and then May 3 with Hillary Rodham Clinton in Indianapolis.\nBob Merlis, Mellencamp’s publicist, said the rocker hasn’t said who he’ll vote for but sees Democrats as the greatest hope for change.\n“Neither candidate is as liberal as he would prefer, but he’s happy to contribute what he can,” Merlis said Tuesday.\nMellencamp is no stranger to political activism. The Farm Aid co-founder played three house parties in 2004 for Wesley Clark, Howard Dean and John Edwards. He had supported Edwards in the Democratic race and performed at an Edwards rally the night before the Iowa caucuses in January.\nHe has been outspoken against President Bush and the Iraq war, with recent anti-Bush songs “To Washington” and “Texas Bandito” angering some conservatives.\nMellencamp’s wife, model Elaine Irwin Mellencamp, was a delegate to the 2004 Democratic National Convention and is seeking to be one again this year.